Merton Priory was once the centre of learning in the area, and it’s still a great place to learn about history.
If you’re a teacher, here are our schools resources.
If you are a parent (or even a pupil), do look at the schools page, but you’ll find additional resources here.
Information for educators
As well as resources and lesson ideas, which you can find on our schools page, here are some information packs for background knowledge.
A cartoon biography of our former student Thomas Becket is here.
We’d love you to visit. If you’re a parent, Merton Priory is normally open every weekend between April and September. If you’re a teacher, please contact us to arrange a class visit.
Our 15-minute film about Merton Priory is here. In addition, there are some excellent resources about monasteries on the internet. Here are some:
- The late, great Terry Jones’ documentary on monks (about half an hour)
- Lewes Priory offers education packs and information, including an illustrated guide to monks
- Wessex Archaeology’s learning resources, including some useful sign language (monks were silent)
- Here’s some information about life in a couple of Cistercian monasteries
- Here’s Historic Scotland’s booklet on Jedburgh Abbey (we’ll ignore the wrong colour of their habits!)
We really value your ideas and suggestions on how to improve or add to our resources. Please e-mail us with your comments.