29 May 2007. David Saxby, the archaeologist who has lead the Museum of London’s excavations at Merton Priory since the 1970s launches his new authoritative monograph on the Priory’s archaeology: MoLAS publications:
The Augustinian priory of St. Mary Merton, Surrey: excavations 1976–90. Excavations at the priory of St. Mary Merton revealed much about the layout and development of this monastery from the 12th century to the Dissolution. Founded on its present site beside the Wandle river, c 7 miles south-west of London, in 1117, Merton was one of the most influential of all the English houses of regular canons, and was much favoured by Henry III. Of particular interest are the monastic infirmary complex – hall, chapel, cloister and ancillary buildings – and the large number (700+) of burials excavated from the external cemetery, church, cloister and chapter house. Authors/editors: Pat Miller, David Saxby Series: Monograph Series 34 Published by: MoLAS 2007 Pb Price: £27.95. You can order this title directly from MoLAS or through the Museum of London shop: MoLAS, Mortimer Wheeler House, 46 Eagle Wharf Road London. N1 7ED. tel: +44 (0) 207 410 2224fax: +44 (0) 207 410 2201 firstname.lastname@example.org
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license.
The Merton Priory Trust is a company limited by guarantee and registered in England.
Company Registration No.3525361. Charity Registration No. 1071445.