2 May 2011 – Magna Carta A replica of the Magna Carta will be exhibited at local churches and places of worship over the next few weeks to raise awareness of the Priory. The original Magna Carta has long been lost. However, an unknown number of copies were made shortly after its completion four of which survive today. By kind permission of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury Cathedral, the first authentic copy (other than photographs) to be made of this document since 1215 has been completed by a College of Arms calligrapher on vellum under the supervision of Bluemantle Pursuivant Herald. The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers and the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths, the joint owners of this document, have kindly allowed this work of art to be displayed by Merton Priory Trust for the benefit of the people of Merton. They have also agreed to 90 percent of all the net proceeds raised from the sale of copies of this document to be retained by the Merton Priory Trust for the purchase of similar documents and the putting together of an application for inclusion on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license.
The Merton Priory Trust is a company limited by guarantee and registered in England.
Company Registration No.3525361. Charity Registration No. 1071445.